Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Up yours, Logitech

Check out the fun email I sent to Logitech today:


To whom it may concern:

I work as a PC support technician here in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Recently, in the course of my daily work activities, I have had to setup and install several Logitech optical mice, as well as a wireless mouse-keyboard combination. My concern does not lie with how these products function, as they seem to work as good as any other peripheral input devices. My concern also does not lie with the installation of said products (although, I have always wondered why modern mice and keyboards come with installation software that is upwards of 40 MB – has so much functionality been added to these devices that such bloated software is actually needed). My concern here lies with the PACKAGING of said products.
One would think that the process of opening up the packaging on a mouse should be one of the simpler tasks in one’s day. After experiencing Logitech’s packaging solutions, I beg to differ. Trying to get at the hardware and software inside of these plastic and cardboard cocoons can best be described by the following words: “frustrating”, “difficult”, “dangerous”.
In one case, I initially tried to cut into the package with scissors. The handle of this pair of scissors broke with the amount of force I was using. I tried again with some sturdier scissors, and made a little bit of headway into the package. With the assistance of some needle-nose pliers and some good old fashioned sweat and elbow-grease, I was able to finally wrest the mouse free from its plastic prison (after slicing my knuckle on the jagged edge of the ripped plastic). All of this was taking place at the user’s desk, and after watching my debacle, she relayed a story to me about how her son was trying to open the package for the exact same mouse at home, and he too struggled for about 15 minutes and ended up slicing his hand as well. After learning that I am not the only person to experience such difficulty, I decided to write this letter.
I have never written a letter such as this before, but my experiences over the past few days have forced me to voice my opinion. I am an able bodied 26 year old man, and I can barely open these packages without causing myself bodily harm (or at least some minor mental stress). Imagine what would happen if an 80 year old grandmother received a new wireless mouse for her computer and had to attempt to open one of your packages. Without getting into wild hypotheticals, I think that the situation could get fairly ugly in a hurry.
I realize that your sturdy packaging is probably a great deterrent to thieves who might try to open the packing right there in the store, but it is also extremely frustrating to the user who has legally purchased your product and expects to be able to remove the item from its box with a minimum of effort.

Sincerely,
A troubled technician.

3 Comments:

  • At 11:50 AM, Anonymous The Gis said…

    Lol. You should mail the letter in a really hard to open package. You probably wouldn't know this, but curling irons are also packaged that way. WTF.

     
  • At 12:33 PM, Blogger iaingillis said…

    It's a conspiracy. The International Plastic & Cardboard Conglomerates are afraid to lose any of their market share, so they are flooding the market with tonnes of hard to open plastic and carboard packaging materials. I say we rise up and smash the Packaging-Industrial Complex to smithereens! Power to the people!

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous smiff said…

    I want to be buried in a human sized package of this type.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home