Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Lymphoma Report

So it looks like to road to my recovery just got a little bit bumpier...

Last week, my hematologist sent me in for a chest x-ray. My bloodcounts were not coming up as fast as he thought they should have been, so he wanted to take an x-ray to see if anything was going on in there. Basically, the mass that I had in my chest when I was first diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic lymphoma has returned, or at least he thinks so. X-rays are not very conclusive, so I am going in for a CAT scan tomorrow, and if the scan does indeed confirm that the mass is coming from the same systems as before, and this is indeed a relapse, then I will be referred to the Bone Marrow Transfer clinic.

To be quite honest, the possiblity of facing more intense chemotherapy and a bone marrow transplant is pretty scary, but this is not entirely a surprise. I knew that my particular form of lymphoma is very aggressive, so the possiblity of relapse was very real. I will do my best to keep everybody updated on my status as it changes. If I do get referred to the transplant department, I'm sure that it will not be long before I'm going in for consultations with them.

Despite the fact that this is really shitty news and kind of a setback, I am still optimistic. If my aggressive cancer needs an aggressive treatment like a bone marrow transplant, so be it. I'd go in for 100 bone marrow transplants if I had to. This is merely a minor setback. I'm feeling fine, and I know that if I was strong enough to get this far in my treatment, I can get through this next phase. CANCER AIN'T SHIT. This here bout is going into the 15th round, and I'm just getting my second wind. I'm going knock out this disease like Rocky knocked out Ivan Drago in Rocky IV. Believe it.

7 Comments:

  • At 12:23 PM, Blogger Sean said…

    That Lymphoma picked the wrong person to mess with.

     
  • At 5:21 PM, Blogger Instant_Karma said…

    In your corner buddy. You've got the right attitude to make it, and I know you will.
    Love from all us here in Ireland :)

     
  • At 6:18 PM, Blogger Graeme said…

    Average Homebody's blazin' heat returns to burn that cancer right outta ya.

    http://gorillamask.net/blazinhazen.shtml

     
  • At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Mailboxhead said…

    Hey Gillis, I haven't been talking to you in what feels like many moons, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm rootin' for you in this thing... it sucks to hear about the setback, but I know you are gonna kick this thing's ass...

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Anonymous LĂ©onie H. Hoover said…

    Hi Iain:
    I first got caught up with Planet Dal CS when my 17 yr. son was accepted into Shad/05 at Dalhousie. I want to let you know thatI nursed my Mum 20 years ago through several years of breast cancer and she is fully recovered and will be 91 in June and she is going strong! Yes there will be bumps in the road like the one you've just experienced but don't for one moment let this damned thing get you down!! So much is being done and much progress is being made every day...you are young, strong and a fighter..... keep up your positive attitude, which I strongly believe is the most important part of your recovery! I wish you well and know with the positive attitude you have and that of those who care and love you that you will prevail!! ROCK ON !!!!!
    Love from London, Ontario - The Hoover Family

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Blogger lora said…

    cancer can't hang with the streets, man. give it some old school gang style justice.

     
  • At 10:04 PM, Anonymous G-Unit said…

    Ahh -- I am late in posting my support; ergo, a deadbeat friend.
    But you know I've got your back! We's like Biggie and Diddy, gnome sane?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home