Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Monday, June 20, 2005

Live From WHY Studios In Whycogomah

Years ago, my father came into possession of a very interesting home recording. This tape was made by a man who, at least in the minds of a circle of select family members and friends, is now a minor celebrity and cult icon. His name was Dan Norman Cummings. This collection of folk songs and stories has been a hit at kitchen parties and late night get togethers for years now. This IS roots music like you have never heard before. It only takes a few listens of this tape to get the feeling that you know Dan Norman, like an old friend. Dan Norman had loved and lost as much as any man I have ever known. It is my pleasure and priviledge to share his knowledge and, ummm, unique musical gifts with you.

The Lost Tape Of Dan Norman Cummings

Make sure that you download all 21 parts of the tape, and try and listen to them in order, or you will not get the full Dan Norman experience.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    xkx

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i am a relative of dan norman and am glqad to see he is being remembered, a true cape bretoner, comme a dee how, folks

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another relative...I was actually named after Dannorman. I can remember the last time I saw him. These songs are a great find.

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Matt said…

    If you can, send me an email at m_bustin@hotmail.com. My grandparents are Peter and Annie Mae MacInnis, the ones mentioned in the tape. I'd love to know the story behind this.

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger joanne said…

    In 1984 my husband and I moved to Skye Glen next door to Annie Mae and Peter. This tape was made by Dan Norman for us at the request of Annie Mae. One particular song on the tape is about my husband's uncle and aunt who were killed in a car accident a few days before Christmas in the late 1960s. Annie Mae wanted us to hear this song and Dan Norman put it on a tape along with some of his other songs. We have listened to the tape for years and has become a huge hit in our house. It's been converted into cds and now onto multiple ipods of my four daughters.
    From a Dan Norman fan,
    Barbara

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there, my music teacher intoduced me to Dan Norman on our way to mabou for a square dance. now im in canadian literature and i have a project to find a canadian song, can someone give me some information on him? did he write the songs, and stuff like where and when was he born. thanks! Amanda

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hi amanda, dan was born on sky mountain in cape breton,and was the last resident to leave that place,his old homestead stood for many years after he and his brother moved off in the 60,s i believe,his brothers name was jim murdock,cummings and was crippled for many years,dan also loved horses.i remember when i was quite young .he had 1 particular horse, that if you asked the horse houw old he was the horse would stamp out his age with his front hoof,dan was a friend to everyone,he loved life,it was a pleasure to have known him,where ever dan is now,i am sure there will be a kitchen party goin on,,,

     
  • At 4:39 AM, Blogger cgguy said…

    I remember visiting Dan Norman only one time in the 90's. He was living in a basement apartment on the highway going through Whycocomagh. He was my grandmother's first cousin. Her father was John Murdock Cummings (1873-1943). I remember DanNorman was so friendly, he'd speak to you like he knew you forever. I also remember him playing a few tunes and how he loved horses. I wish I knew more about the family history from that area.
    Jeremy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home