Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Thursday, January 27, 2005

It's almost awards show season: let the industry backslapping, ego stroking, and shameless self promotion commence!

Iain Makes His Oscar Picks!

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
- Don Cheadle, HOTEL RWANDA: Didn't see it.
- Johnny Depp, FINDING NEVERLAND: Didn't see it.
- Leonardo DiCaprio, THE AVIATOR: Didn't see it.
- Clint Eastwood, MILLION DOLLAR BABY: Didn't see it.
- Jamie Foxx, RAY: Didn't see it (no pun intended).

My pick: Well, Eastwood has never won an Oscar for acting (only for Directing and for Best Film - Unforgiven), and he's probably gonna die soon, so he'll get it.

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
- Annette Bening, BEING JULIA: Meh.
- Catalina Sandino Moreno, MARIA FULL OF GRACE: Who?
- Imelda Staunton, VERA DRAKE: Wha?
- Hilary Swank, MILLION DOLLAR BABY: Heh heh. SWANK.
- Kate Winslet, ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND: Gah?

My pick: Once again, five movies I haven't seen. Oh, I don't know, Kate Winslet? That sounds about right.

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
- Alan Alda, THE AVIATOR: Hawkeye!
- Thomas Haden Church, SIDEWAYS: He used to be on Wings.
- Jamie Foxx, COLLATERAL: Finally, a movie I actually saw last year.
- Morgan Freeman, MILLION DOLLAR BABY: The poor man's James Earl Jones (kidding, kidding).
- Clive Owen, CLOSER: Why wasn't he nominated for King Arthur? Hardee har har.

My pick: Well, Jamie Foxx had to act next to Tom "Too Much Over Acting Is Never Enough" Cruise, Morgan Freeman could make a Skittles commercial sound epic, and Alan Alda was Hawkeye, so I'm leaning towards... THOMAS HADEN CHURCH (call him my "sleeper" pick of the bunch)!

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
- Cate Blanchett, THE AVIATOR: The only elf up for an award this year.
- Laura Linney, KINSEY: Loved her in Congo.
- Virginia Madsen, SIDEWAYS: Fantastic in Highlander II: The Quickening
- Sophie Okonedo, HOTEL RWANDA: Uhh, I'm sure she's good too.
- Natalie Portman, CLOSER: I hear that she plays a stripper in the film, but you never actually see her nekkid. Sorry Natalie, no dice.

My pick: Blanchett, I suppose. Man, I'm glad I'm not putting money on any of these.

BEST PICTURE
- THE AVIATOR
- FINDING NEVERLAND
- MILLION DOLLAR BABY
- RAY
- SIDEWAYS

My pick:Well, Finding Neverland is out, since the idea of a grown man who is really close with several young boys is a bit of a touchy subject these days. Sideways? Fuggeddaboutit. The Aviator is about a real dude, and the Oscars love those movies. Ray is a biopic as well, and has the extra advantage of its subject dying in the same year that the movie was released (Hollywood loves the sympathy vote). As I said before, Eastwood will get his Best Actor, but won't get the nod here. I call it: The Aviator, by a nose. Word.



1 Comments:

  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger mike said…

    bout time Hawkeye got some props.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home