Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Monday, October 25, 2004

They'll Take Your Money

How often can one say that they have met a legend? Not too often. Well, on Friday, October 22, 2004, I had the good fortune to meet two. The place: the Grawood Lounge. The mood: half über-nostalgic, half carnival freakshow. The legends: none other than Canadian TV legends Pat Mastroianni (A.K.A. "Joey") and Stefan Brogren (A.K.A. "Snake"). That's right. Two-thirds of the world famous Zit Remedy. Cast members on the hit Canadian teen drama/acid wash jeans showcase, Degrassi Jr. High (later just Degrassi High). Yes, these two Torontonian vagabonds were here in Halifax to bask in their well-deserved glory, to answer various questions and queries from the adoring throngs of their fans, and to hear their innermost desires, hopes, and dreams. They did just that. I would describe to you, my faithfull reader, the sights and sounds of the evening, but alas, I am no Shakespeare. My words will not be able to bring forth the feeling of joy and contentment that these two princes of the world of theatre brought to the room that magical night. To see Mr. Mastroianni field my question about his role in the 1998 smash-hit movie Godzilla was to see a true master in action. Despite the fact that he was eventually cut from the final release from the film (a grave oversight on the part of the producers), he recounted his portrayal of the ill-fated "Apache Pilot #3" in harrowing detail. When pressed about the relationship of famous director Kevin Smith to the show, he smiled at me and addressed me with the warmth and compassion of an old friend. I was not unmoved. Suffice it to say, I left the Grawood that night awash in a sea of wonder and rapture, all thanks to those two marvelous thespians and raconteurs. Truely they are national treasures. Godspeed gentlemen, and godbless.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you forgot the best parts - getting bombed and referring to Snake and Joey as Jake and Snowy; purchasing overpriced Zit Remedy memorobelia; and getting lots of Degrassi questions answered that have been keeping me up at night for 10+ years, including, but not limited to: why did characters on Degrassi walk around school holding boxes of granola bars?

    (Answer: strategic, but not subtle, brand placement.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home