Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Monday, August 23, 2004

Wha happened?

This weekend marked the first annual "Iain Gillis-Shamus Blair Weekend Pub Crawl and Joyathon". Shamus showed up at my place Friday evening, and the hijinks began. The IGSBWPB&J started slowly, with some bottles of Alexander Keith's (or, if you're from Cape Breton, "a couple a' bottles a' Keets, wha?), and some Chappelle's Show on DVD. We convinced Lena to join us, and we all headed down to Maxwell's Plum. We had a few pitchers of shitty Clancy's draught, then headed over to Tom's (after making a pit stop at Pizza Corner. I opted for a slice of donair pizza. I should have went for Meat On A Stick.). We had a beer here, then Shamus fell asleep. It was time to call it a night.

Saturday began with a trip to McDonald's, then we watched my DVD of Hannibal, and I suddenly had a craving for some fava beans, and a nice Chianti. Day 2 then began in earnest, as we headed back downtown to make with the "drinky drink". Dinner was at the Thirsty Duck. I think Shamus and I were the youngest people in the bar. It was a middle-age free-for-all in there. Next we headed over to Dooley's, where we split a pitcher of draught and I schooled Shamus in the fine art of billiards for an hour. The next stop was the lovely Oasis Bar and Grill. This place is great: $2.25 draught and free shuffleboard. Defeat was in the cards once again for Shamus, as I proved my might on the shuffleboard table. We then headed down to the (in)famous Liqour Dome to catch the Rock Ranger show upstairs at The Attic. We got there early, so we went downstairs to Cheers and had some more cheap draught. I soon switched to Gin & Pineapples, and Shamus switched to Rum & Cokes, and "it was on like neckbone", as the saying goes. Rock Ranger was pretty good, more drinks were had, things started to get fuzzy after that. I talked to a bunch of ex-Sydneyers, my good buddy Windom Earle, and God knows who else. Somewhere along the line I lost Shamus, so I went home and assumed he could find his way.

By the time Sunday morning came, we were both feeling a bit sluggish, so we felt that the only thing to perk us up would be some good ol' eggs & bacy brunch action, courtesy of the Athens Restaurant. We rounded out the weekend by going to see The Exorcist: The Beginning. Tired and rundown, the rest of the day was spent on the couch watching the Olympics. All in all, a successful weekend (although my liver would probably disagree). I can't wait for the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home