Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Thursday, August 26, 2004

"We're gonna need a bigger boat..."

Last night I went to see the new shark movie, Open Water. Now, I'm a sucker for a good shark movie, so I was looking forward to this. I even sort of liked Deep Blue Sea, the movie with the super intelligent, genetically altered sharks (not to mention LL Cool J). A quick and dirty summary of this movie could be: "Blair Witch On The Open Ocean". The film was shot with digital video, and has the same kind of "pseudo-documentary" feel that The Blair Witch Project had. The premise is simple enough: a couple on vacation become stranded while doing some deep-sea diving, and, well, that's it. Badness ensues. Now, many people may become bored watching 2 people float around in the water for an hour and a half, but I thought that the filmmakers did a good job of conveying the overall shittiness of being stranded at sea, without resorting to the usual Hollywood bullshit. The sharks in the film were real, not some CGI rendered monsters, and the low-budget "realness" of the movie drives home the notion that this could (and has) happen to anybody (well, anybody who goes deep sea diving in shark invested waters, that is). Now, don't get me wrong, there are some slow parts in the film, and it's far from perfect, but for a movie with a production budget less than $150,000, I'd say that it wasn't too shabby at all. That being said, I'll still take Jaws over this any day of the week, if only for Robert Shaw's drunken ramblings: "You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home