Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Monday, July 19, 2004

"Whoo, Whoo, Show Us Your Scrotum"

Friday night was spent at The Marquee, where I saw this band called The Waco Brothers. The Waco Brothers are a Chicago-based punk-country-rock-funtime band that includes members of The Mekons, Jesus Jones, and KMFDM, among other bands. These dudes are all middle-aged or quickly approaching middle-age, yet they played with more energy than any group of 20somethings I've seen in recent memory. Apparently they were flown in just for this night, courtesy of some guy named Jeff Cohen (he is from Toronto and runs/owns/has something important to do with Lee's Palace and The Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto. He was getting married to some chick from Eastern Passage, and the show was kinda like a pre-wedding party or something. At one point, one of the guys from the Waco Brothers asked the crowd if they knew any popular Nova Scotian wedding chants, and the only replies he got were, "Whoo, whoo!", and "Show us your scrotum!" So, he spent the rest of the show randomly yelling, "Whoo, whoo, show us your scrotum!" I had a ball. I also saw Eugene Ripper downstairs. He was pretty decent as well. To top it all off, I didn't even have a hangover the next day. Good times all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home