Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Friday, July 02, 2004

Post Canada Day Report (with Top 5 List!)

I started out Canada Day by sleeping in to 11:00 (that's late for me). I then went to the Athens Restaurant for lunch. I got the Lamb Souvlakia plate, in honour of Canada's multicultural heritage. Not really, I just like Greek food is all. I then went to see Fahrenheit 9/11 at the Oxford. Watching that film on Canada Day was quite fitting, as it made me feel very thankful that I was born in this country, despite the fact that we are responsible for Celine Dion and polar bears chase me to work everyday. This was followed by an impromptu BBQ at my friend Debra's house in Dartmouth. Debra was uspet that I didn't mention her in my blog very much, so here goes: Debra has a nice old dog named Cleo, she gave us all Sweet Tarts, and enjoys chicken hot dogs. Tune in next week for more interesting Debra trivia! (just kidding Debbie.) The fireworks on the waterfront were pretty standard, but anything that can cause thousands of people to go "oooh" and "aaah" in unison is pretty cool in my book. Good, clean, wholesome, Canadian fun was had by all. A few beers were had, but nothing excessive. Maybe I'm turning over a new leaf. All of this drunk-free fun is starting to freak me out.


Top 5 Songs From Canadian Television

  1. "Run With Us" (from The Raccoons) - Ah, the Raccoons, the high-water mark of Canadian animation. This cartoon was so Canadian it ate back bacon smothered in maple syrup for breakfast. I just have one question though: what the hell was Cyril Sneer supposed to be, anyways? Some kind of pink aardvark, or something?

  2. "The Zit Remedy Song" (from Degrassi Junior High) - "Everybody wants something...". Ah, Pat Mastroianni, he's sooo dreamy! I never liked Wheels though.

  3. The Littlest Hobo Theme - Lassie ain't got nothing on The Littlest Hobo. The Littlest Hobo is like MacGyver, and Lassie is like Dr. Grant Roberts from Danger Bay. Nuff said. This song kicks ass.

  4. "Having An Average Weekend" by Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet - You probably know this song better as the opening theme to the great Canadian sketch comedy show The Kids In The Hall. They also did the bits of music in between the sketches.

  5. The Hockey Night in Canada theme - Even though you may despise hockey, you can't deny that no other song in Canadian history (outside of the national anthem) has stirred the hearts of Canadians more than the theme to Hockey Night In Canada. Okay, maybe "Bye Bye Mon Cowboy", by Mitsou. Many people call this the second national anthem, and they may not be that far off. This song triggers something in your brain that causes you to sit in front of a T.V. with a case of Blue and yell at referees. It's genetic.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:06 PM, Blogger C said…

    Oh. My. God. I actually have 'The Racoons' theme on my iPhone and it is one of the greatest pieces of 80's wonder!

     
  • At 5:36 AM, Anonymous magic said…

    Thank you for this article. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you've covered so many bases.Thanks!


    Evil Eye Beads For Sale

     

Post a Comment

<< Home