Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Happy Bastille Day!

Since I'm part Frenchy myself (thanks Mom), I'd like to extend to you and yours my best wishes on this Bastille Day! For anybody who would like to celebrate the storming of the Bastille and the beginning of the First Republic, here are some handy dandy drink recipes.


Apparently some Mexican government and law enforcement officials are having chips implanted into their arms that will allow their movements to be tracked, as well as giving them access to a national crime data bank. Now I'm no Luddite, but this kind of creeps me out. Just a little bit.


So professional sports may be coming back to Halifax. Possibly. The World Hockey Association is planning to take advantage of the possible NHL lock-out this fall and bring affordable pro hockey back to the people. Or so they would have you believe. Halifax's contribution to the league will be the recently named Halifax Ice Breakers. Ugh. The team doesn't have a deal with the Metro Centre yet (just an "understanding"), they won't have a list of players to negotiate with until the draft in a few days, there is no coach or general manager signed, and no head office yet in the city. The league is supposed to start in late October. Riiight. On the WHA website, the team listing for the the inaugural season includes Detroit, Halifax, Miami, Quebec, Toronto, Hamilton, and my favorite, Dallas or Vancouver. If this league ever gets off the ground, I give it one season. Two tops.


After reading this, I began to have flashbacks to another fledgling league, the ill-fated National Basketball League. This league featured a handfull of Canadian teams, including the Halifax Windjammers and of course, my own hometown Cape Breton Breakers (get it... Breakers, like a fast break in basketball, or Breakers like a wave, like the waves in the water around Cape Breton... how clever). The league lasted about one and a half seasons, but I have found memories of Sydney's brief journey into the realm of pro hoops. I remember on opening night, way back in 1993, my friend's and I had floor seats, right behind the visiting teams bench (Hamilton, I believe). The pre-game festivities included the Barra MacNeils doing the anthem, and a procession of bagpipes (it's Cape Breton, what else would there be?). After the pipers came in, one of the Hamilton players, a guy by the name of Clifford Lett (who actually played a handfull of NBA games with Chicago and San Antonio), turned back towards us and said, "Yo fellas, is this some sort of hockey thing, or somthin?" He was immediately our favorite player in the league. Everytime Hamilton came into town, we would make Clifford Lett signs and cheer as loud as possible whenever he so much as touched the ball. We of course had our favorites on the Breakers as well. Willie McDuffie was my favorite, an overweight, ageing centre, who was slow as molasses, but had a decent 3-point shot. I loved that team. They actually made it to the league finals. Alas, it was not meant to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home