Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Monday, June 14, 2004

The Weekend Wrap-Up

Friday Night: After work Friday I went straight to the booze store to purchase the required supplies to make one of the drinks I featured on Friday's post, The Nomad (I used Bombay Sapphire gin instead of Vodka, however). A couple of those bad boys and I was in quite a good mood. Then it was off to Tom's Little Havana for my usual Friday evening revelry. After Tom's, I went a few blocks over to Halifax's newest music venue, Stage Nine, where Slowcoaster were playing. This was probably about the millionth time I've seen them, roundabouts. The crowd was pretty thin at first, but things picked up towards the end. I danced for a good hour or so, so I must have been pretty drunk. The bar has a great patio, and I had some excellent conversations out there with Devon Strang's sister (I can never remember her name) and Shaun Purdy (we had a solid 15 minute discussion about Andre The Giant). Oh, and some weird girl (who was completely wasted, knackered, three sheets to the wind) kept on trying to dance (read: grope) with me. That sucked, so I solved the problem by dancing over to the edge of the dancefloor, where I noticed a lone, drunk, dancing male, and then quickly saying "I need another drink.", or something to that effect, and jetting off to the bar. By the time I got my drink, I could see that the lone male and the crazy weird girl were in the middle of what could only be classified as "PG-13 style heavy petting", so my crisis was averted (I'm just like Cupid, only a little different).

Saturday: Giselle, Debra, and myself checked out Greek Fest over on Purcell's Cove Rd. Some meat on stick, shitty beer, decent wine, funny dancing in strange costumes. A good time was had by all. After that we headed over to the Oxford to see Super Size Me, which was fantastic, by the way. The movie has put me off fast food for at least a month or so, however (or maybe until the end of the week, who knows).

Sunday: My roomate Mike and I decided to go golfing Sunday afternoon, so we got in the Volkswagon (thank the lord for roomates with cars!) and headed out. He said that he thought there was a course out on Purcell's Cove Rd., but after a good solid 15-20 minutes of driving out there, we still couldn't find one. Instead we found a 200 year old naval fortress. Along the highway we saw this weird concrete wall, and our natural curiousity drew us to investigate. We saw a clearing in the forest for a walking path, so we parked the car and headed out. What we had stumbled upon was York Redoubt, an old fortress that was built in the 1800's to protect Halifax Harbour. For a couple of history nerds like us, it was pretty cool indeed. Afterwards we headed downtown to The Old Triangle for some Sunday afternoon refreshment. We ended up watching most of the England-France European Cup soccer (ahem... I mean football) game, drinking our lager and feeling like right football hooligans. I ended the night by again going to the theater to see The Stepford Wives. There were a few funny bits, but this didn't illicit too many laughs from yours truly. Also, whoever edited the movie should be taken out back to the learnin' tree for a severe whoopin', because I thought that the overall flow of the movie was terrible. Ah well, can't win em' all, I guess.

Quite the action packed weekend, and I'm sure that you were all riveted by my colourfull account of it. Envy me and my busy social schedule (ha)! Now I can't wait for the Multicultural Festival in Dartmouth next weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home