Sad Songs Are Nature's Onions

"For the sickness, that be spreadin with the quickness Remedies, cousin I be doin on my enemies Penalty, then I drink forties to they memories" - "Release Yo' Delf" by Method Man

Sunday, May 23, 2004

There's no place like home...

The wedding reception last night went well. I had a chance to hang out with a few people I haven't seen in a long while, and there was none of the potential awkwardness that could have accompanied the situation; just a pleasant evening eating various forms of pasta and potato salads, drinking, and dancing to crappy music with friends. Good stuff. I even kept the drinking to a fair minimum (for me)and awoke this morning hangover free. Good stuff indeed.


Friday night I went out to the Capri Club with some other friends. It got me thinking back to when I had just turned 19 and was living in Sydney for the summer. My little group of friends and I spent at least one night a week at that bar it seemed, which is kind of odd considering that it may be one of the crappiest bars I've ever been privy to get knackered in. The Capri (or Crapi as I like to call it) is a smallish dance bar in "beautiful downtown Sydney". They used to have these crazy $1 drink specials, so it was one of the more crowded bars in town. The combination of large, liqoured up crowds and small space usually added up to quite an uncomfortable situation. The floors were always sticky, it was usually way too hot, and the music usually never strayed too far from the usual Top 40 pop crap most bars in this province seem to play. Despite all of this, I usually had a fun time (although I suppose that after downing 13 gin and cranberries, I'd have a good time just about anywhere). I guess that it was just the fact that I was with my friends that made it fun, and not the bar itself, but the Crapi definitely became one of the focal points for my weekend fun. I mean, it was that, or go to Smooth Herman's (the other (in)famous late night dive in Sydney). Seriously, if anybody reading this is not originally from Sydney and plans to visit, stay as far away from Smooth Herman's as you possibly can. Trust me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home